Tuesday, September 21, 2021

50 Days to 50 - Day 11

 Sep 21 - Day 11 to 50

My maternal great-grandparents are Mauricio Jardeleza and Circumcision Belleza (yes, Circumcision!).  We called them Tatang Iciong and Lola Budo (glottal stop at the end). 

Tatang Iciong died young but Lola Budo lived until the ripe age of 92.  She lived with her sons, tio Julio was the eldest who married tia Muni (Filomena); tio Efren and tio Pido.  Her only daughter, my nanay Concing, she’d visit from time to time. 

When my brother Alvin was born, both my Lola Budo and Nanay Concing lived with us in Sta. Mesa, Manila.  I will never forget the funny scene, myself just turned 4, my Lola Budo was playing with Alvin, raising him high with her arms calling him a good, handsome baby when he suddenly peed straight into her mouth!  Good thing she did not drop the baby, putting him safely back in his crib as she ran to gargle and clean her mouth in the kitchen sink, my nanay Concing laughing so hard, she was in tears. 

Lola Budo was very fair, so white she said it was from the Chinese side of her ancestry.  She’d been a petite lady but when she grew older, her back started to bow, that by the time she was in her 70’s she looked like a walking question mark.

She was playful and told funny stories usually about her youth or about the war (1940’s) or about the troubles my grandmother got to.  She died in 1993 just before I left for the UAE. 

No comments: