Thursday, September 16, 2021

50 Days to 50 - Day 4

 Sep 14 - Day 4 to 50

So many interesting and life changing events happened in this day, 14th September across history.  In 1938 Graf Zeppelin II, world's largest airship, makes its maiden flight resulting in disaster that killed 36 people.  In India, in 1949, the Constituent Assembly adopts Hindi as an official language and celebrates today as Hindi Day.  From this time, ten years later, 1959 Soviet Union's Luna-2 is the first spacecraft to land on the Moon, yes, not the US.  A year after that, in 1960 Iraq, Iran, Kuwait, Saudi-Arabia and Venezuela form the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC). 

But enough of history, as I’d like to use this day to honor my grandmother, Concepcion Jardeleza Linco or my nanay Concing.  Incidentally, today in 1985 "The Golden Girls", starring Bea Arthur, Betty White, Rue McClanahan, and Estelle Getty, debuted on NBC, so it’s really fitting I use this day to pay tribute to my lola who I only call nanay (mother).

She was my first mother, my first love, the one who I know truly cared for me and loved me.  Nanay Concing raised me as her own, helping my biological mom, her eldest daughter, who was breadwinner then.  Nening Minda was a full time worker and was very busy so Nanay was my caregiver from the moment I was born.  Yes, she was my hero.  She made it a point to be there, when one of her children would be having a new addition to their families and stayed for several years taking care of the newest baby. From my eldest brother, Noel, who is the oldest grandson up to the youngest ones, Nanay had been the very first "yaya" - caring for each one of us like a grandmother and mother rolled into one would.

She was the only girl amongst her siblings and naturally enjoyed special love and treatment from her parents and brothers but never grew up spoiled.  One of her best friends growing up was my grandaunt, tia Meding, or Remedios Castro who was often visited and even lived with us.  Together, they’d cook up a storm of native delicacies, or have sewing projects while talking about relatives from near and far and how everyone is doing.

She's lived a hard life but she never complained.  She found ways to earn extra income to support her family.  For years she was both mother and father to her five children when her husband was in Manila.   After a while she decided to look for my grandfather, taking in jobs as house help and washerwoman to wealthy families so she could, on her off days search for him.  When they finally reunited, no questions were asked, no accusations. Her capacity to love and forgive is boundless and I admire her for that.  Later in life, when all grandchildren had grown, she went to live with us in Manila. When I left for the UAE and my mom was working in the US, Nanay was again acting mom and caregiver for my younger siblings and even to my dad.  In June 2009, she passed away in her sleep.  She was 87.  All her life had been of service and caring for others.  Despite all her hardships, she never became harsh or cold.  She kept her humor and kind nature intact.  Today I honor her and her memories as I continue to share stories about her to my own daughter. 

No comments: