Thursday, September 23, 2021

50 Days to 50 - Day 13

 Sep 23 – Day 13 to 50

The only father I had and ever knew was Alfredo Pena-Montilla Villaruel, Jr.  Through the years, we’ve called him daddy, dad, dagda, Baghdad, then back to dagda, but his friends know him as Nonong.  From 3, he was my dad until his passing in 2005.   I’ve written my tribute for him in my blog: https://maryannisms.blogspot.com/2005/10/he-sure-did-it-his-way.html

On my 4th birthday, he got me a robot and some books.  Our love for science fiction and all things extra-terrestrial springs from him, the avid Asimov and Sagan fan. 

My favorite Dagda trait is when you’d give him a kiss, since I was little, he’d blow up the side of his cheek you are intending to kiss, like a puffer fish’s like your kiss is a treat he is savoring to get.  Up till Amber, that’s how he got kissed by us.

Every night from first grade till grade 6th, whenever I’d hear the car coming in the gate, knowing my parents are home, I’d run to get his slippers.  As soon as he comes home, he’d sit at his favorite couch and I’ll place his slippers down next to his feet as he removes his shoes and socks and stretches his legs.  It just stopped because we moved to Manila and by then everyone had different schedules, but that was one of chores but also my way of being respectful towards my father.

After dinner, I’d be sent out on an errand to a nearby sari-sari store to get him his 3 bottles of beer.  Of course, the fun part was I get to keep the change!  His ice, cold San Miguel beers would be his relaxation therapy as he listened to his favorite crooners: Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennet, Tom Jones, Johnny Mathis, Sammy Davis Jr.

He battled the big bad C for 5 years before finally succumbing, a couple of months after his 65th birthday.  Thank you Dagda for your wisdom and guidance.  I will always be grateful and honor your memory.

No comments: