Tuesday, September 21, 2021

50 Days to 50 - Day 9

Sep 19 - Day 9 to 50

Mamang and Papang were doomed, star-crossed lovers.  Minda and Tom met, fell in love, got pushed into teenage marriage and grew to detest each other, leaving both broken. They were so in love when they had Noel, their first child.  Cracks were already starting to show by the time they had Allan, they second child after 4 years of marriage.  By the time I was conceived another four years after, both were ready to just legally separate.  Their love story had always been a cautionary tale and Minda always warned me not to be like her. 

Nothing was hidden from me growing up so I knew the real stories which I’m grateful for.  No family drama of me finding who were my real parents when I’m all grown up like in many telenovelas.    Mama Minda was like an aunt who came and went while my Papang was no show.  However their story was known to me and I’ve learned that too much love could also lead to too much hate and eventually to too much regret.

Papang never remarried and I’m unsure if he’d kept relationships through the years.  I was told he’d been a great uncle to his other nieces and nephews which I also never met.  Mamang, the hopeless romantic, fell in and out of love several times looking for “the one” and never really finding the right one.  My half-brother Rey was a bitter-sweet chapter of her search for love.

To my biological parents who have both since passed, Papang when I was in highschool in the 80’s and Mamang in 1999, I say a prayer of thanks and send them my whole-hearted forgiveness and love.  May you both have found the love and peace you’ve been looking for and may you have both forgiven each other as well.

No comments: