Thursday, September 16, 2021

50 Days to 50 - Day 7

 Sep 17 - Day 7 to 50

I have been blessed to have so many mothers in my life, something that has got me to believe that there is indeed a higher power that looks after us all.  Mommy Lucy is my fourth mother, the second eldest sister of my biological mom.  She bought me my very first clothes and blankie.  Lucia Linco Casiendo was a shy and soft-spoken lady in her younger years.  A quiet presence who was the dependable sister for her siblings.  When my mom legally separated from my father, because remember, there is no divorce in the Philippines; she went out and dated other men.  One of them was one Genaro Casiendo whom she liked but only as a friend.  My mom set up a blind date between this guy and her sister Lucy.  One date and he brought her home, sat in the swing by the porch late one night.  They talked about life, getting to know one another.  Unfortunately, this was still in the early 70’s in conservative Philippines and Lola Peling, still alive and strong caught them sitting beside each other.  Immediately she sent them away and not come back unless they have a marriage certificate!  In haste, they were married just like that!  The fastest dating to wedding in our family’s history!  Still their marriage was blessed with four sons.  She kept all my baby clothes, shoes and even my toys, thinking someday soon she’d have a girl of her own.  Unfortunately, she’s had all boys and stopped after four.  So I enjoyed being her “daughter” too.  When we would vacation back in Bacolod, she’d borrow me and look after me when I was younger.  Her eldest son Junard was like a playmate and younger brother for me and Alvin.  I have vivid memories of us three kids chasing ducks and chickens in rice paddies in Trese y Media, where Lola Peling used to live. We’d fit our tiny selves snuggly and swing in the duyan (hammock) strung in the house.  We explored the farm and played by the deep well water pump, pulling it and rushing to the water spout to catch the drops or watering the plants and vegetables in plots dotted around Lola Peling’s house.

Mommy Lucy is the only one left alive as her sisters, Minda and Connie have both passed on.  She’s now a grandmother herself, enjoying her grandchildren, finally having girls.  It is rare for us to meet due to work circumstances but last time we met, in 2014, she also had a chance to meet and bond with my daughter Amber. 

No comments: